In 1692, Longniddry was part of the new Parish of Gladsmuir. Worshippers walked or rode the two miles to services. Over 200 years later, in 1925, the Church Extension Charge of Longniddry was created, giving the village its own hall church and minister, governed by an interim Kirk Session made up of elders from neighbouring parishes. The Parish of Longniddry was not established in its own right until 1944. The church was well used, for example, during World War II soldiers billeted on nearby Gosford Estate visited regularly to enjoy a canteen set up in the hall.
The Sanctuary was refurbished in 1967, and major hall extensions completed in 1969, with more additions added nine years later, reflecting the expansion of the village.
A complete refurbishment of the church and redevelopment of the halls was completed in June 2006, transforming the church and adjoining hall into a single, spacious unit admirably suitable for worship while providing a valuable resource for the congregation and community alike.
Four ministers have served Longniddry Parish. Rev Ford McLeod guided it from 1940, through wartime and the establishment of the Parish until his retirement in 1958. Rev Robert Inch Johnstone, minister from 1959 until 1972, saw the first development of the church and halls. In October, 1973, Rev A Graham Black was inducted to the parish, now subject to a deferred linkage with Gladsmuir Parish. Graham’s 30 year ministry was highlighted by the continued growth of the congregation and organisations, building of a new Manse, and the linkage of Gladsmuir and Longniddry Parishes in 1984. He retired in August 2003, and Rev Dr Robin Hill was inducted in February 2004.
Even before 1940 there were two short ministries: Rev Ian A Auld served 1937-1938 and Rev Lauren C McDougall served 1938-1940. We have no photos of them.
The wheel has turned full circle from three centuries ago. Today, Longniddry Parish is linked with Gladsmuir Parish under one minister - two separate churches united in their commitment to love and serve the Lord.